PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
REVIEWS Write a Review
04/24/09Provided by Citysearch
Great down home feel, comfortable environment! From the moment my boyfriend sat down we felt like we had been welcomed back home by family. The drinks quenched my boyfriends huge thirst which is quite an impossible task given the fact that he is a professional extreme sports athlete. The free peanuts are definitely a cool idea and you can toss them on the floor when your done, which made me feel quite rebellious! The fixins' are a great (we had mashed potatoes, an bitty bits' salad with THE best ranch i have ever had, and macaroni and cheese) and I find it hard to believe that you can get FREE second helpins on such tasty sides!!!!Anyways our server was David, who was very outgoing and friendly to both my boyfriend and myself, and he had really cool tattoos too!!! I must say that this is a very unique place where you shouldn't rush through your dinner and get out the door, if you want that go to Dennys. I hear that they even have a ""country night"" where they have live bands/musicians come in and play. Our overall experience was great and although it is a bit of a drive for us we will gladly make it on a weekly basis to enjoy our new favorite bbq joint!!
12/07/08Provided by Citysearch
My girlfriend decided to take myself and two other friends there last Friday night for a apparently good old home cooked BBQ meal. I decided to give it a try.....that was where we went wrong....
1. Showed up roughly 7PM on Friday night....was told 30 minute wait....ok....waited about 30 minutes for a table for 4 and when was seated noticed that half the restaurant was empty....why the 30 minute wait...clearly there was probably a under stafffing issue. Ok fine....
2. Was not greated for about 10-15 minutes only to have a apparently stressed female server on a clear power trip approach us like it was a complete hassle for her to serve us. Did not take any orders or drink orders...we were clearly ready order as the menus sat at edge of table and we twiddled our thumbs for 20 minutes.
3. A different employee approached us and took our drink orders....brought those and forgot our water we had to ask a third employee for water.
4. Where was our server to take our order???? Who knows??? Finally we order about 20-25 minutes later...
5. Now with a ""combo meal"" where you choose two items for i think $18.95 you expect a decent amount of food.....nope I ordered pork ribs (was 4 small pieces) and hot links (2 small hot links) but there were two sides...macaroni and cheese (which everyone in my group ordered and everyone did not eat because had absolutly no flavor) and BBQ Baked Beans (which tasted as they were cooked hours in advance and heated up....were very hot and tasted burned)
Long story made short. It was $100 for 4 people excluding and alcoholic drinks and we ended up driving through In and Out on our way home....FYI its right down the street....
This place is absolutly horrible, the service is horendous and dont even waste your time!!! I will never go back...I am usually not this mean I would just like to give fair warning before anyone decides to try for the first time. This place S#CKS!
12/04/06Provided by Citysearch
great food the best sweet tea and nothing beats peanuts on the floor. the place its self is fun to look at and the peach cobbler is great. very nice people but make sure to get there on the weekdays for the steaks they may run out on a sunday. some of the best bbq i've had in a while. and there dinner for 2 for $30 i highly recommend you get a little of everything
11/15/06Provided by Citysearch
THIS IS NOT YOUR STANDARD CALIF. WANNA BE BBQ. THIS IS SOUTHERN STYLE BBQ, WITHOUT THE ATTITUDE. NO FRILLS, TANGY SAUCED SMOKED PORK, BEEF, HOT LINKS. FRIED CHICKEN, FRIED PICKLES, CATFISH, SWEET TEA, GREAT LEMONADE!! DROP BISCUITS W/ HONEY!! JUST GOOD OLD FASHIONED BBQ...........PEANUT SHELLS ON THE FLOOR TOO!! OH, AND DID I MENTION THE AWESOME BREAKFASTS?! ASK FOR ""BRIE"" SHE ROCKS!!!
11/10/06Provided by Citysearch
Went here for my birthday in October 2006. I'm a huge smoked meat fan and have a few favorite places around the country. This one ranks as one of the best on my list. I rate smokehouses by their St. Louis ribs. Its not a preperation but a cut. Baby back's are for the ladies, St. Louis (cut) is for MEN. The porterhouse of ribs, and these were pink with smoke = flavor and of course fall off the bone! The onion rings are top shelf as well as the Ice Tea. Sat in the coverd patio - love the bullfrog sound effects.
08/15/06Provided by Citysearch
This has to be the largest variety of delicious foods I have never tried. Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Pickles, Hush Puppies, New Brunswick Stew, Banana Pudding, Catfish, etc. All this and the best BBQ you have ever tasted. Be prepared to wait on the weekends, but worth the wait.
08/09/06Provided by Citysearch
This place was amazing. Of course the parking lot is small--the place is small too, & it has a ton of charm. The outside looks like it was made from scrap wood, & outside they have a soundtrack of frogs croaking in the bushes; In the bathroom there is a soundtrack of cows mooing--very comical, fun. The place isnt glamorous, but it is a good time. It would be a GREAT date place to go to with someone you dont mind chucking peanuts and getting sauce on your face. Pretty Southern feeling-- Drinks are served in BALL jars, and they had fried pickle rounds and fried okra, (both of which you rarely see here in CA, what a treat!) and both served with great ranch dressing.
For dinner we got the sampler platter, called the Roadhouse Special, $30, just to make sure we tried everything. It said it was for two people, but it was an unbelievable amount of food that could easily feed 3 or 4. It came with 3 appetizers, 2 pieces sausage, 2 fried chicken, hushpuppies, cornbread, biscuits, 2 pork ribs, 2 beef ribs, 2 sides (we got bbq pinto beans and cajun rice-both just ok) and peach cobler with ice cream for dessert. The sausage was spicy but super good, the pork ribs' meat fell off the bone (and there were more like 6 ribs than 2), and the BBQ sauce on both was terrific (Im sure the pulled pork is great). By far the most stand-out was the fried chicken, though. Moist and slightly spicy, thick batter that was perfectly crisp--definitely the best fried chicken I have ever eaten anywhere. The cobler came in a humongous bowl, with about a pint of vanilla ice cream in a companion bowl. The peaches were canned, but its so rare I have cobler, I enjoyed it anyway.
Service isnt great, but it isnt super bad either-- we could have used some help taking some of the plates and napkins off of our food-stuffed table--bussers werent too attentive in that department.
Be prepared to wait. At 7:30pm Monday night the wait was 30mins.
07/27/06Provided by Citysearch
WOW! Being from North Carolina, I know REAL BBQ, and I found it in LA. In fact, ths joint makes me feel like I'm back home. My momma may not be happy with me, but their food is as good as hers (That's a compliment momma!) The menu is both BBQ and Southern. I'm talking knock your socks off catfish, hushpuppies, collard greens, Pork Ribs, Pulled Pork, Blackeyed Peas, peach cobbler, buttermilk biscuits, and the list goes on, and on. The atmosphere is fun, with peanuts on the tables and toss the shells on the floor. I hear they have 4 other locations, which I plan on visiting. I highly reccommend a visit and go hungry!
05/23/04Provided by Citysearch
Johnny Reb's has some great food, but the parking lot is too small and crowded. If you drive a large SUV, you may find it too difficult to park and manuever it there. There was a very inebriated man behind me yelling at me to move in that lot, and I was just waiting for a car to pull out. The waiting area is very small and OUTSIDE. My two sons and I were told we could not wait inside once when it was very chilly and windy. The VERY, VERY RUDE Johnny Reb's employee told us we were leaning on a booth, but the back of the booth was taller than us and rignt inside the door. We were not bothering anyone--just trying to get warm! I wanted to leave and my sons wanted to stay so we stayed, but we haven't been back!
- General Info
- Johnny Reb s offers a variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner options, as well as catering services. The restaurant serves Cajun sausage, chicken, pulled pork and barbecue hot-link sandwiches. Its selection of starters includes smoked chicken wings, fried potato chips and okra, onion rings, Cajun poppers. Johnny Reb s also offers freshwater catfish and blackened sirloin and chicken fried steaks. The restaurant provides catfish Caesar, smoked chicken and garden salads. It additionally serves various wines, including cabernet sauvignon, chardonnay and merlot. Johnny Reb s offers several side dishes, such as french fries, pinto beans, mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas and Texas caviar. The restaurant maintains a location in Orange, Calif.
- Extra Phones
- Regular Hours
Mon - Thu: Fri - Sat: Sun:
- American Restaurants, Barbecue Restaurants, Caterers, Creole & Cajun Restaurants, Hamburgers & Hot Dogs, Pizza, Restaurants, Sandwich Shops, Seafood Restaurants, Soul Food Restaurants
- Payment Options
- Price Range
Johnny Rebs' Southern Roadhse
Johnny Rebs - Orange
Johnny Rebs' True South Orange
- Other Information
Parking: Lot, On Site
Bike Parking: Yes
Good For Family: Yes
Good For Groups: Yes
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
Cuisines: Southern, Soul, Burgers, Caterers, Barbecue, American, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs, Seafood, Pizza, Cajun & Creole
Alcohol: Beer, Full Bar, Wine
Takes Reservations: Yes
Outdoor Seating: Yes
Specialties: Family Events
Price Range : Average
Good for Kids: Yes
Pets Allowed: Yes