Best Winter Deals for the Holidays
With so many holidays clustered in December, it’s not surprising that this time of year boasts some of the best winter deals of the season. Gift giving plays an important role in prominent holidays like Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, and this is also a popular time for family get-togethers at home, making it a great time for certain areas of travel. Here are some of the best winter deals you can expect to find this December holiday season.
- Winter travel deals: Since so many people stay home around the holidays or travel primarily to visit family, there are some spectacular winter deals to be had at this time of year. You can typically find discounted airfares to Europe, hotel packages offering an extra night, and the like. It’s generally recommended that you book early, usually in August or early September. Cruises also make a great December getaway.
- Restaurant deals: Restaurants count on holiday dollars and will thus offer some good deals, making this the perfect time to check out that new restaurant you’ve been eyeing. Not only are special meal prices offered on specific holiday dates, but there are usually incentive deals to be found throughout the season. Check your local coupon mailers and newspapers, and keep an eye on your favorite restaurants’ websites for special December offers.
- Electronics: Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, this is a great time to buy a computer, TV, camera, or other gadget. Retail stores traditionally offer deep discounts on these days as a way of luring customers into their store to buy other items. If you’re in the market for some sort of electronic device, keep an eye out for winter deals posted on these shopping days and throughout the holiday season.
- Clothes and outerwear: December is a great time to purchase sweaters and other apparel that tend to make a great gift. Again, look at the post-Thanksgiving deals. But if you can wait until after the holidays, you should be able to find some screaming deals at the post-Christmas/New Year’s sales.
- Hams and turkeys: Even if you’re not hosting a big holiday meal this December, you can still cash in on deep discounts on many of the foods commonly associated with holiday dinners. If you have the freezer space, it’s a great idea to buy a ham or a turkey and freeze it. Later, after the craziness of the season, you can roast it or even smoke it for a special occasion and then use the leftovers for lunchmeat. This is also great to stock up on other staples that you may use throughout the year, such as cream of mushroom soup or stuffing.