Top 10 European Destinations for an August Vacation
Are you looking for an awesome August vacation experience? If you would like to end your summer with a bang, consider visiting one of these European locations for a memorable celebration of summer, culture and fun.
- Spain’s Barcelona Summer Festival: Every summer from July through August, entertaining musical, theater and dance shows are performed in Barcelona’s Olympic Stadium.
- Scotland’s Cowal Highland Gathering: In Dunoon, Scotland the Cowal Highland Gathering is celebrated on the last weekend of every August. The celebration includes the World Highland Dancing Championships along with musical pipe band contests.
- Denmark’s European Festival of the Middle Ages: If you would like your August vacation to have a medieval flair, visit Horsens Denmark for the Festival of the Middle Ages which features entertainment including concerts and tournaments.
- England’s Great British Beer Festival: London in August is abuzz with this national festival of beer that also includes a celebration of food and music.
- Croatia’s International Puppet Festival: In Zagreb, Croatia this week long celebration of puppets is one of the world’s most popular puppetry festivals. Here you will find puppet shows, classes on puppet making and displays of first class puppets.
- Austria’s Lederhosen Festival: If you take a trip to Austria during your August vacation, don’t miss out on the annual Lederhosen Festival. Along with contests for the best lederhosen, you will also find music, dancing and a large Volkswagen Beetle show.
- France’s Medieval Spectacle: Plenty of live jousting, fencing and acrobatic shows take place during this annual medieval fete; even better, France’s Medieval Spectacle is located in the town of Carcassonne at a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Germany’s Rhine in Flames: Why settle with fireworks only in July when you can celebrate them in August too? Visit Germany in August and you may catch a brilliant fireworks display over the Rhine River.
- Italy’s Verona Opera Festival: Each summer in the Arena di Verona, an ancient Roman amphitheater, a world class celebration of opera showcases the crème de la crème of the opera world.
- Belgium’s Brussels Flower Carpet: Every two years in August, Brussels is blooming with one of the world’s most beautiful displays of flowers – an intricate and detailed carpet showcased in the Grand-Place. To be sure you see these astounding blooms on your next August vacation, check with a local travel agent before you book your trip.