Top 10 Reasons To Choose Alternative Energy Sources
Alternative energy sources are a popular topic of conversation these days, as many believe they hold a promising solution to meeting our current energy needs in a clean and environmentally friendly way. These renewable resources get their energy from naturally occurring phenomena such as sunlight, wind, water, biofuels, tidal and wave power, and geothermal heat. There are many reasons to move toward alternative energy sources in your home. Here are the 10 most prominent.
- They are sustainable. From sun to wind to bioenergy, the U.S. renewable energy base is virtually intact. And because these alternative energy sources are naturally replenished day after day, they are a source of virtually endless energy.
- They are environmentally friendly. We rely on the Earth to provide the air, water, and food we need for life. Using alternative energy reduces the amount of digging, drilling, and mining we do, thereby reducing stress on the planet.
- Their use provides a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. Traditional fossil-fuel based energy sources release carbon dioxide in the air, resulting in what’s known as the greenhouse effect, which many believe is responsible for climate change. Since renewable energies don’t result in CO2 emissions, they offer a viable solution to this problem.
- Their low degree of emission leads to cleaner air. All of the chemical byproducts and substances that are released in the air by the processing and burning of fossil fuels ultimately affect the air we breathe. Renewable energy provides an important step toward a less polluted planet.
- They increase our energy security. The use of alternative energy sources renders us less reliant on the import of fossil fuels, which in turn makes us less vulnerable to the ups and down of the market and the influences of an ever-changing political landscape.
- They reduce the need for oil drilling. New drilling prospects still exist, but many involve further despoiling of some of the natural wilderness areas we have left.
- They provide financial stability for the consumer. A homeowner with an alternative energy system in place is no longer vulnerable to fluctuations in the gas and oil markets driven by the ever-changing dynamics of supply and demand.
- There are often subsidies available. Increasingly, governments worldwide are putting into place significant financial incentives for individual homeowners switching to alternative energy systems. Often this can help offset the initial installation costs of an alternative system.
- They have the potential to turn into viable new industries. Many of the companies responsible for the development of alternative energy sources are some of the more fore-thinking and cutting-edge organizations in the world. Plus, all the manufacturing, installation, retrofitting, and so on involved in the use of these systems carries the potential to create many new jobs.
- They can save you money. In the end, using alternative energy sources can save you money. Although you typically have to make an initial investment, these types of systems usually pay for themselves over time, given that their primary energy source (i.e. sun or wind) is essentially free.