Top 10 Ways to Protect Yourself from Home Burglary
When it comes to keeping your valuable possessions safe from home burglary, it can be helpful to know some of the most effective burglar deterrents. Following are some items that not only deter burglars from entering your home, but also stop them from getting past its exterior if they try to force their way inside your home.
- Home security system: One of the most important ways you can prevent home burglary is by installing a home security system. Such a system sounds a loud siren and can alert authorities if a burglar tries to enter your home.
- Glass-breakage detectors: Glass-breakage detectors are excellent to use on windows and pick up the frequency of shattering glass when a burglar tries to enter your home. This trigger sets off your alarm system and can notify authorities that someone has entered your home unauthorized.
- Home security doors: Home security doors usually involve a combination of heavy-duty deadbolt locks with a strong strike plate, as well as solid wood or metal door to prevent a burglar from kicking it in. Home security doors also include steel stripping on the interior doorframe.
- Infrared motion detectors: Infrared motion detectors pick up movement a burglar makes inside your home and can set off your alarm system when they detect unauthorized entry. These detectors are usually designed to not activate your alarm when pets wander through your home, preventing the occurrence of false alarms.
- Home surveillance system: A home surveillance system uses both visible and hidden security cameras to monitor and record the actions of burglars. Visible security cameras let burglars know you are monitoring them at all times, whereas hidden cameras are excellent for providing police with footage after a burglary.
- Alarm monitoring: Alarm monitoring connects your alarm system to a central monitoring center and alerts authorities when a burglar breaches your alarm system and tries to enter your home. Alarm monitoring enables authorities to respond to your alarm system’s alert within two to three minutes in most cases to catch the burglar.
- Yard signs: Yard signs generally work well in conjunction with an alarm system and let burglars know a monitored alarm system is protecting your home. Yard signs are excellent burglar deterrents.
- Window decals: Window decals are similar to yard signs in that they let burglars know a professional security company is monitoring your alarm system. Window decals can also serve as burglar deterrents.
- Heavy curtains that conceal your valuable possessions: Installing heavy curtains on your windows is another way to prevent burglars from making your home a potential break-in target, as curtains conceal any valuable possessions you have and keep burglars from looking inside your home.
- Neighborhood watch program: Participating in a neighborhood watch program is another good way to deter burglars, as it enables your neighbors to watch your home when you are away and let you know if they see any suspicious activity.
Protecting yourself from home burglary is extremely important, as you must safeguard your home from intruders and keep your valuable possessions safe. Following a few guidelines can make the difference in a burglar painting your home as a potential target or leaving it alone. For more information about ways to protect your home from home burglary, you should contact a home security company.