5 Advantages of Spot Coolers
Spot coolers are portable air conditioning units that are designed for temporary use in a location where there is no air conditioning or inadequate air conditioning. Spot coolers are used in offices, factories, data centers, residential property, and seasonal or temporary businesses in a rental location. A typical use is in rooms with computerized equipment, such as server rooms, which need to maintain a constant temperature and humidity level for operation.
Spot coolers work much like window air conditioners: they pull air into a condensing unit, cool it, and circulate it back into the room. One big difference, however, is that the spot cooler is on wheels, making it portable.
There are five main advantages to spot coolers
- They are affordable. When you compare models with the same cooling capacity, spot coolers are more affordable than conventional window air conditioners.
- They are a snap to install. Spot coolers couldn’t be easier to install — you just plug the cooler in, find an exit for the exhaust hose, and you’re done.
- They are completely portable. You can roll a spot cooler wherever you need it, because it’s on wheels. Most of them are also lightweight and easy to carry.
- They are energy efficient. These coolers are much more energy efficient than a central air conditioner. A portable air conditioner is smaller and needs less electricity. In addition, a spot cooler gives you the freedom to focus on a specific area you want to cool. That’s real efficiency.
- They have many bonus features. Besides temperature control, spot coolers also dehumidify the air. Allergy sufferers know that it’s important to keep indoor humidity low to discourage the growth of allergens like mold and dust mites. Some portable air conditioners have a feature that lets you switch to a “dehumidify-only” mode that removes moisture without cooling the air. There are also models that have high efficiency air filters to clean the air, and some even come with built-in heaters so you can use them in cold weather.
Spot coolers serve a useful purpose in many homes and buildings, and there are many models to choose from. An air conditioning professional can help you make the right choice for your needs.