Small Apartment Decorating Ideas
Small apartment decorating presents both opportunities and challenges. Although less space means a smaller carbon footprint, you don’t have to sacrifice style in order to do something green. Tiny spaces can very well be huge on personality. All they need is some organization, strategic planning, and some creativity.
Tips for Small Apartment Decorating
Here are a few key tips for small apartment decorating:
- Keeping your apartment clean and organized will provide you with a lot of space. Take advantage of containers and storage bins and incorporate them into your room’s design. Hang some pretty shelves to hold some of your decor or books instead of installing a bulky shelf against the wall.
- Choose furniture wisely. Don’t go for the bulky stuff. Large heavy furniture is not only difficult to move around, but it can also make your space look instantly cramped. Go for small pieces of furniture such as an armless chair or an ottoman. Also, choose furniture with double function. Don’t just consider style, but also make it a rule that every piece of furniture should serve more than its literal purpose. For instance, opt for a sofa-with-bed. It can be a sofa during the day and unfolded into a bed during the night. Another example is a dining table with flaps. You can use these for extra room or storage space for wine glasses and plates.
- Choosing the right colors will also help give the illusion of a much larger space. When selecting a color theme, go for lighter shades as they will make any room look larger. A deep shade of blue may be perfect for a large space but will instantly drown out small spaces.
- Aside from colors, lighting must be considered as well. For small apartments, the space should be illuminated in ways that will open the space up. Avoid ceiling lights because they will just break the room’s height. Opt for soft lighting instead. The perfect choice is recessed lighting. Go for nice lamps and use soft, incandescent lights at strategic areas in the apartment.
- When it comes to accessories for small apartment decorating, less is more. This does not mean totally eliminating room decor. Don’t sacrifice your personality and style. Just choose your pieces wisely. A bold piece of art like a painting will give a space more impact than a random array of trinkets. It’s preferable to have a focal point and a nice piece of art should be the way to go.
With these small apartment decorating ideas, you can create a cozy, warm and functional space… no matter how tiny your abode.