Discount Travel ‐ 10 Tips for Saving on Your Next Trip
If you would like to save money on your next vacation, keep these Top 10 tips for Discount Travel in mind:
- Stay away from tourist traps: Tourist traps are almost always located near popular tourist destinations and the ‘traps’ can include anything from high priced restaurants to high priced souvenir shops. To save money on your trip, venture away from high traffic tourist areas.
- Consider off-season travel: Summer is one of the most popular months for vacationers, but it is also one of the most expensive times to travel. For a discount travel trip, consider a vacation in the late fall or early spring months.
- Avoid Extra Hotel Charges: From mini-bar fees to telephone bills, extra hotel charges can run up your travel costs. Try to avoid using any hotel amenities if you are on a travel budget by shopping locally and communicating via the Internet, payphone – with a long distance or international phone cared – or cell phone.
- Be Adventurous: If you want to save money on your next travel adventure, be adventurous; try to live as if you are a local – which is much more affordable than living like a tourist – even if this means going outside of the tourist comfort zones.
- Talk with a Travel Agent: A travel agent can help you to find discount travel deals throughout the year to a number of destinations. Experienced travel agents may even be able to find group discounts for families and friends.
- Compare Prices: Always compare prices before you complete your booking. You may be able to find a more affordable hotel just a mile down the road, car reservation deals and affordable flights with a little bit of research.
- Use Local Transport Services: Avoid cabs and private cars like the plague. Instead, use the local methods of transportation and grab a local bus, subway or train schedule for a discount travel experience.
- Watch out for Package Deals: Package deals can sometimes save you money, but in some cases the packages may charge extra for services or amenities that you do not need. Always examine travel package deals carefully before you pay.
- Shop at Local Grocery Stores: You can dramatically cut travel costs if you shop at a local grocery store instead of eating at restaurants. No matter where you are traveling to – whether it’s Paris or Panama City – a local grocery store will be right around the corner. If you rent a hotel with a small refrigerator or hot plate you can prepare your meals in the room or pick up a few items each day and enjoy outdoor picnics on your vacation.
- Lock-In Reservations Early: Those who can lock-in their reservations for a vacation 6 months to 1 year in advance are rewarded with top discount travel prices. Try to plan ahead and you will be handsomely rewarded!