A Home to Artists
Since the turn of the century, Santa Fe has been a refuge for painters, sculptors, writers, musicians and crafts people of national and international caliber. Writers including Mary Austin, Willa Cather, Jack London, H.L. Mencken, Ezra Pound, Witter Bynner and Winfield Townley Scott either lived year round in Santa Fe or were frequent visitors. Painters Edward Hopper and Marsden Hartley lived in Santa Fe in the 1920's and 1930's, and the town was also home base for such well-known artists as Robert Henri, John Sloan, Andrew Dasburg, George Bellows and Randall Davey. Composer Aaron Copland lived in Santa Fe in 1928, and Igor Stravinsky summered in Santa Fe for more than a decade, working frequently with the Santa Fe Opera.
Archdiocese of Santa Fe Museum
223 Cathedral Place
Donations accepted. Admission free.
A small but impressive museum featuring historical documents, photographs, and artifacts that trace the development and role of the Catholic Church in New Mexico.
Bataan Memorial Military Museum and Library
1050 Old Pecos Trail
No admission charge
The museum was organized through the efforts of the New Mexico National Guard and displays artifacts collected by the state's military veterans. It honors all New Mexicans who have done military service. It occupies an old armory and displays items from World War I through Desert Storm. The highlight is a tribute to the Bataan veterans, the 200th Coast Artillery Regiment that was sent to the Philippines to furnish anti aircraft support. The regiment was later divided to form the 515th Coast Artillery Regiment. The regiment saw action on Bataan when the Japanese occupied the Philippines in 1942. The 200th is credited with firing the first shot and being the last to surrender to the Armies of Japan. Over half of the regiment was killed in the Pacific or imprisoned. A perpetual flame burns in their memory outside the state government building named in their honor.
The museum has 30,000 artifacts, an extensive research library and an archive of military documents relating to New Mexico's history.
Cathedral of St. Francis of Assisi
213 Cathedral Place
Daily 6am-5:45pm mass is celebrated daily.
Constructed from New Mexico golden brown sandstone, St. Francis was the first church between Durango, Mexico and St. Louis to be designated a cathedral. Archbishop Jean Lamy supervised its construction. He died before its completion and is buried under the church's altar. Building began in 1869 and the exterior was completed in 1884. Work continued for many years after that. Bishop Lamy had recruited artisans from Europe to build and decorate the cathedral. It features Romanesque style stained glass imported from Clermont, France and dual bell towers. Corinthian columns lead to a ribbed vaulted ceiling. Frosted glass chandeliers light the sanctuary. The windows depict the twelve apostles. In later years stations of the cross painted in the New Mexican folk art (santero) style were hung on the wall beneath the European style windows. In a small chapel is a religious icon revered by local worshipers: it is a small wooden statue of the Virgin Mary who was known many years ago as La Conquistadora (The Conquerer) and is now called Nuestra Seņora de la Paz, (Our Lady of Peace). It is the oldest representation of the Madonna in the United States. it has been carried to safety in and out of Santa Fe over the past 400 + years whenever there was war or an uprising of any kind. The massive bronze doors of the cathedral have etchings that depict more than 4 centuries of the history of the Roman Catholic religion in New Mexico. Each panel weighs 25 pounds.
Cristo Rey Church
1120 Canyon Road
Admission is free.
The parish of Cristo Rey uses this church, in America's largest adobe building, for regular worship, but visitors are welcome. Cristo Rey was built of 200,000 adobe bricks made from soil on the church's site. It was built in 1940 during the 400th anniversary of the arrival of Coronado in the southwest. There is a sculpted Spanish colonial style altar screen decorated with images of the saints that was crafted in 1760.