The Beardsley & Memorial Library was first organized in 1874 as a result of the generosity of Mrs. Eliot Beardsley. In 1898, a bequest by Jenison Whiting provided the land and original part of the present building. The Beardsley Trustees and the Whiting Board consolidated in 1939, and the building at 40 Munro Place became known as the Beardsley & Memorial Library. Today the Library is a free library serving the towns of Winchester (including the city of Winsted), Colebrook and Barkhamsted. A self-sustaining Board of Trustees governs the Library. Beardsley & Memorial is funded by taxes from the three towns, an Annual Sustaining Drive, the Library Endowment and bequests. The Library looks forward to serving the area for another one hundred years. The Beardsley & Memorial Library Collection is made up of 56,000 materials including adult and children's fiction and non-fiction books, audiotapes, videotapes, CD ROMs, periodicals, large print and reference books. Public Internet Workstations, on-line catalogs and interactive CD computer stations in the Children's Room also service our patrons. The Library is a member of the Connecticut Library Consortium Video & DVD and Talking Book Circuits. These circuits allow the library to provide a rotating monthly collection of non-print materials to the public. The Library attempts to meet the informational, educational, and entertainment needs of its patrons through our collection. The Library provides an interlibrary loan service to obtain materials that. the library does not own. Cultural, historical and educational programs are offered throughout the year. All residents of Winsted, Colebrook and Barkhamsted are eligible to register for a library card free of cost. Beardsley extends borrowing privileges to Connecticut residents with library cards from the towns in which they reside. Beardsley also offers out of state borrowing privileges for an annual fee of $10.00.