Our Mission: To provide the highest quality public service through professionalism dedicated to excellence. Settled in 1719 by Scotch immigrants seeking religious freedom, the Town of Windham was originally home to the Pawtucket Indians. It represented but a small part of a larger settlement, known by the residents as "Nutfield", which also encompassed the towns of Derry and Londonderry. By the year 1741, a small fraction of the original settlers had petitioned for a charter to form a separate community whose bounds included 27.2 square miles of land and water. In 1742, Governor Benning Wentworth granted their request and the Town of Windham was incorporated.