The church now known as Willoughby Hills Friends Church had its beginnings in the early 1870s. The first building was started in the Spring of 1875 on Cedar Avenue near East 33rd Street, an area then accessible by horse-car. First Friends officially was incorporated in 1883. An active interest in missions has always characterized this church and beginning in 1892 a long list of missionaries have gone forth from its membership. In 1892 the church became the parent organization of the Friends Bible Institute, which later achieved college standing and was known as Cleveland Bible College, located at 3201 Euclid Avenue. In 1957 the college moved to Canton, Ohio and was renamed Malone College (www.Malone.edu) for its founders, the Reverend J. Walter and Emma B. Malone. The college now has full accreditation as a liberal arts college. Farewell services at the Cedar Avenue church were conducted on September 11, 1932. On September 25, 1932 the building at the corner of Superior Avenue and Melbourne Road was dedicated. As the shifting population and changing surroundings had brought about the move from Cedar Avenue to Superior and Melbourne, so again in 1960 when many of the members had moved to the easterly suburbs, it became apparent that the church should look toward relocation. The more than 7 acre plot on S.O.M. Center Road, seemed providentially suited for the needs of the church. It was purchased in 1962. Ground was broken for a new church building on August 12, 1963. We believe that the Bible is verbally inspired and the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. We believe that every person is born a sinner and needs a personal Savior in order to have a relationship with God which is the requirement to spend eternity in heaven. We believe in a real heaven and a real hell and believe that it is not God's desire for anyone to go to hell. Those who reject Christ condemn themselves. We believe that God loves man and sent Jesus, the second person of the Trinity, to pay the price for our sin that we are unable to pay. Salvation comes through a personal commitment to Christ. We believe that the church consists of all believers and that each believer is equipped to minister. This equipping is done by the Holy Spirit as He gives spiritual gifts to each part of the body. We believe it is our responsibility to discover and use our personal gifts in evangelism and for the edification of the body of Christ. All gifts are for today and no gift should be lifted up above others. The purpose of spiritual gifts is to lift up Jesus Christ. We believe in the second coming of Christ for His Church, the Tribulation period to come, and the establishment ultimately of a new heaven and a new earth.