Mission: The Mission of Connecticut's Regional Vocational-Technical School System is to provide a rigorous educational program meeting the needs of Connecticut's citizens and employers through academic instruction, intensive occupation-specific training, and apprenticeship credit. Responding to the changing labor demands and technological challenges of the 21st century, this program is tailored to youth and adults in partnership with business, labor, post-secondary education institutions, and community organizations. In preparation for the challenges of the 21st century, through the use of Connecticut's Common Core of Learning, the opportunity to develop a positive work ethic and become adaptive, lifelong learners is provided to all students enabling them to make the transition from school to career, to post-secondary education, and to productive lives as contributing members of society. Graduates will be able to demonstrate basic academic skills, specific occupational competencies and a strong work ethic as well as the knowledge, skills and attributes articulated in Connecticut's statewide educational goals for students. History: The Windham Regional Vocational-Technical School had its beginning in 1928 when it was known as the State Trade School. In that year, the Town of Windham purchased the original building for the school on the corner of Bank and Valley Streets in Willimantic from the Goyer Manufacturing Company. Previously, it was called the Turner Silk Mill. The enrollment during that first year consisted of 88 pupils from the surrounding area. The four original departments were Carpentry, Electrical, Masonry and Plumbing. Courses in Architectural Drafting, Automotive Mechanics, Machine and Machine Drafting were added later. The original school day ran from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. during the week and from 8:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday. There was no summer vacation. Students received a trade certificate upon the completion of 4800 hours of training. The first class of five students graduated in 1931. Evening classes in textiles and chemistry were initiated in 1933 and were followed by apprenticeship training and evening extension courses.