Meeting on the third Sunday of each month in the Westerville Town Hall, Grace Lutheran Church found its beginnings with the first sermon preached on January 17, 1904. Soon, with increased attendance, regular worship was conducted on two of every three Sundays with a Sunday school organized in May 1906. Grace was begun as a mission congregation by the Pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Westerville, (organized in 1852) Pastor C. W. Pflueger, who subsequently began the first pastor of the congregation serving both parishes from 1909 to 1916. During the spring of 1909, members of the newly formed church requested permission of St. Pauls congregation that it form as a separate sister congregation to serve the growing Lutheran community of Westerville. On May 2, 1909, the new congregation formally organized as the Evangelical Lutheran Grace Congregation of Westerville. The first officers of the congregation selected were Ed Tedrow, elder, Peter Trapp, trustee, Milton Schott, deacon and treasurer and George Schick, Sr., secretary. A constitution was adopted June 6, 1909. This area, first known as Blendon Township, was settled in 1806 with many families coming from Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. With significant German ancestry and some with a Lutheran heritage the area was primarily family farms. The congregation prospered and on April 17, 1910, the congregation voted to build a chapel on East Home Street, on a lot which had been purchased the previous August. The chapel was to have an altar, pulpit, folding chairs and fixtures for a cost not to exceed $2000. A committee of Pastor Pflueger, S. W. Henry, Peter Trapp and Milton Schott were to direct the building effort. The cornerstone of the chapel was placed on July 17, 1910.