West Frankfort Public Library402 E Poplar St, West Frankfort, IL 62896
About Us: The West Frankfort Public Library service area consists of approximately 8,196 residents and serves the area within the city limits of the City of West Frankfort, Illinois. Our library contains 40,000 titles, and with access to the Automated Catalog through the Shawnee Library System, our patrons have access to over a million items. Our collections consists of books, magazines, audiobooks, music, newspapers, and pamphlets. Also available for use are: microfilm reader/printer for back issues of The Daily American newspaper, copy machine, and fax machine. The library has 14 public access computers with word processing and internet capabilities. The Library is open 6 days a week for a total of 50 hours per week. Library History: The West Frankfort Public Library was organized March 3,1927 with only a handful of books. The facility began in cramped quarters at 1102 East Main Street. A petition for a tax levy followed in 1928, affording the library board the opportunity to purchase real estate located at 910 East Main in 1929. What began as the Crim Memorial Library operates today as the West Frankfort Public Library. The structure of the First Christian Church constructed in October 1905 and located on East Poplar was given to the city for the purpose of a library, following the church's move to a different location. The library was housed in this structure from 1937 until 1965 when the building was demolished for a new facility. In 1958 the citizens of West Frankfort organized conferences on financing, site acquisition, architectural design, type and location of books stacks and furnishings, parking lots, and expanded services for the community. The presentation of a floor plan for a new library unfolded on January 30, 1963. On April 3,1965 a bond issue to build a new library passed and an open house was held in the new library on September 4,1966. The library housed 15,000 volumes in 1965 compared with today's 40,000. Since becoming full members of the Dynix Automated System through the Shawnee Library System in 1997, patrons have access to over a million books, and all cataloging and circulation are fully automated. Throughout the library's history Board presidents have included Rev C.S. Tripp, Frank Trobaugh, Afton Wolfe, Ladonne Treece, Betsy Wallace, and Bill LeVanti. Della Seal, Lulu Green, Myrtle W Cox, Mrs. J.W.Holland, Cora Griffin, Helen Clem, Kay Herstedt, and Sarah Jane Alexander have worked as librarians. The library including a children's reading room, an adult seating area, reference area, and community room is the focus of many programs, including the popular Summer Reading Program for children.