Out of the revival movements in early America came many churches of Baptist belief. In the late 1700's a revival meeting was held in the Rogers Crossroads area of Wake County. Many came to Christ and a fledgling church was formed. This church of Baptist belief in Wake County is now known as Wake Crossroads Baptist Church. Ten years after its founding a man left this church to go to another major crossroads and begin a church. This man, John Purfory, and a man named John Gully of Johnston County joined with ten founding members to begin another church in Wake County. These Christians choose a name for their church that meant "she is the one in whom God delights." (Isaiah 62:4) Its name - Hephzibah Baptist Church. The year of its founding was 1809.Hephzibah was a founding member of the Raleigh Baptist Association in 1811. It was a founding church in the North Carolina Baptist State Convention in 1830. Also, it was a founding church in the formation of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1845. Early Baptists understood that if they would learn to live by faith in the present, they could shape the future. It has been this passion that has ensured their success. As they have sought to be obedient to God's word, whatever the cost, they have changed their world and shaped the future of which we are now apart.The Historic church building was completed in 1875 at a cost of $1,198.93. On July 12, 1964, the church voted to commit itself to a building program, and a Planning Committee was elected. In December 1969 the proposed plans for the new church were unanimously accepted. On August 23, 1970, it was decided that in order to prevent the destruction of the original building and to permit the restoration of it at a later date, the new building should be erected across the road in the community center area. The Historical Hephzibah Society has now restored the original Hephzibah Church building at the old site. It is available for weddings, funerals, and other events for the community.On August 30, 1987, a new Building Committee was appointed. Their main objective was to obtain estimates, hire an architect, and help plan and coordinate future development. On April 18, 1993, the church voted to build a 23,000 square-foot Family Life Center adjacent to the existing church building. Finished and dedicated in June 1994, the Center provides more classrooms, an athletic facility, a commercial kitchen, and a fellowship hall. The gymnasium is converted into a sanctuary each Saturday for the worship service on Sunday mornings. The new facility has enabled the church to minister to approximately 1,400 members as of December 1999. The church parsonage now houses the church offices.