History: St. Paul's Lutheran Church is a congregation whose history is deeply steeped in Lutheran worship and strong belief in the importance of education both of which necessarily result in service to others. St. Paul's Lutheran Church and School have been an integral part of the Waverly community and surrounding area for 127 years. Immigrants from Germany organized St. Paul's congregation on May 9, 1872. At first, the eight founding families gathered for worship in rented facilities. Many of St. Paul's early pastors also served as professors at Wartburg College. St. Paul's ChurchSt. Paul's purchased an old church building in 1886 to serve as its first sanctuary. This building was located just north of the present church building. The cornerstone for the present building was laid in July1907, and dedicated in March of 1908. The marble baptismal font was purchased by the youth of the congregation in 1914. Matching hymnal charts came from the old church. The first English-language worship service was in 1908. The Parish House was built in 1940 and dedicated in February 1941, just ten months before World War II began. It was built to accommodate a rapidly growing Sunday School, school and various group events and activities. St. Paul's SchoolThe strong belief in education was evident from the beginning. At its organization in 1872, the congregation also organized its school, a fairly common practice among immigrants. In 1890, the congregation bought land across the street to the south of the sanctuary to build a schoolhouse. In the beginning, the school offered first through eighth grades, with the older grades mandatory for confirmation. In 1952, a kindergarten was added. The current school building was constructed and dedicated in 1964. In the fall of 1968, a preschool program was added and currently serves three, four and five year olds waiting to go to kindergarten. In 1969 the congregation discontinued seventh and eighth grades. In the fall of 2006, kindergarten through sixth grade enrollment is 147 students with an additional 72 attending the preschool. The school, Where Faith and Learning Go Hand in Hand, welcomes children from other congregations and nearby communities as well as those with no church affiliation. Throughout its history, St. Paul's commitment to worship and education are to lead its members to reach out in service to others. In 1959, the congregation realized it could reach out to others through a radio ministry. Today, St. Paul's weekly worship services can be heard every Sunday morning over KWAY 1470 AM, Waverly's local station. In 1966, Fred Downing, a member of St. Paul's and a newly ordained minister, with the help of this congregation, established an inner-city church, Holy Family Lutheran Church in Cabrini Green, Chicago. He soon began bringing inner-city children to visit his hometown and church each summer. These visits have continued for over forty years and have enabled many lasting friendships and opportunities to develop. Pastor Churck Infelt, also a Waverly native and former St. Paul's member, now leads Holy Family's expanding school and church ministry. During the last 25 years, more than 30 members have taken ordination or commissioning vows as clergy, Christian educators, missionaries and chaplains. Many more ordinations and commissions took place during the congregation's first one hundred years. Through associate members and missionaries, Pastor Herb and Kirsten Hafermann, St. Paul's members are discovering new and exciting partnership with Christians in Tanzania. St. Paul's treasures its partnership with th Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Northeastern Iowa Synod. Members of the church serve on national councils, boards, and committees.