History: Kent Hospital is a 359 bed, nonprofit, acute care hospital serving approximately 300,000 residents of Warwick, West Warwick, East Greenwich, West Greenwich, Coventry and parts of North Kingstown, Exeter and Cranston, Rhode Island. Kent is located on 57 acres in the Toll Gate section of Warwick (11 miles south of Providence) and is the second largest single site hospital in the state. Chartered by the State of Rhode Island in 1946, Kent opened with 90 beds in 1951 and expanded in 1960, 1973 and 1981 to keep pace with community growth. Today, Kent provides a full compliment of inpatient services including cardiology and extended coronary care, infectious disease, primary care, oncology, orthopedics, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, rehabilitation and surgery. In addition the hospital offers a comprehensive range of outpatient services including cardiac catheterization, chemotherapy, diagnostic imaging and surgery. The hospital also operates a Women's Diagnostic Imaging Center and a Wound Recovery Center and provides laboratory and primary care services at various sites throughout the community. Kent Hospital has more than 2,300 employees, a medical staff of more than 600, a volunteer corps of 250 and 350 auxilians. Kent's Emergency Services Department is the second busiest in the state with some 60,000 annual visits. In 1985, an Express Treatment Unit opened to reduce the waiting time for treatment of minor injuries and illnesses. Kent is governed by a 26-member voluntary Board of Trustees drawn from the community it serves. Sandra L. Coletta is president and chief executive officer.