History : In the early part of the 20th Century, Wake Forest Catholics gathered in the home of Mr. & Mrs. George Bolus to celebrate Mass. The small group included football players from what was then Wake Forest College. By the 1930s, the community had outgrown the Bolus living room, and in 1938 the community began to worship in an 1892 railroad chapel car called St. Peters Chapel. On February 25, 1940, the group officially became St. Catherine of Siena Parish with the dedication of a small stone church on the corner of South Main Street and East Holding Avenue. The church was built with the gracious support of Papal Countess Katherine Price of Connecticut and Wake Forest families, some of whom still worship at St. Catherines. This little stone church served the community well until the population explosion of the 1990s. By 1990, the parish had grown to over 200 families, so the parish purchased land on West Holding Avenue. In 1997, the 450 families of St. Catherines built a new multi-purpose building to house the parishs sanctuary and offices. In 1998, St. Catherine of Siena Catholic School opened its doors to students. St. Catherines is the mother parish of two daughter parishes: St. Eugenes in Wendell (1957) and Our Lady of the Rosary in Louisburg (1999). St. Catherines is a very mission-oriented parish. In addition to having a sister parish relationship with parishes in Honduras and Uganda, our St. Catherine-Wake Forest Maryknoll Affiliate Chapter sends lay missionaries of our parish to missions in Honduras, Uganda, Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. As St. Catherines enters 2005, we now have 1,800 families, this translates into more than 5,700 registered parishioners from over 40 nations of the world. 42% of our parish is under age 18, while only 5% are aged 60 and over. Because of our phenomenal growth in both the Anglo and Hispanic communities, we are planning to construct many things on our 41-acre campus. Our plans include building a 1,400-seat sanctuary, parish hall, office building, columbarium (to bury our dead), multi-purpose wellness center (so our parishioners can do some of their missionary work on campus), Little League field, soccer field, tennis courts, 500-seat amphitheater-outdoor chapel, many grottoes, and meditation walkways. Our School, currently going from Pre-K 3 through the Fourth Grade, will grow one year at a time through the Eighth Grade. The first graduation from St. Catherine of Siena Catholic School will be in 2009. Also to be constructed will be additions to our current School buildings. St. Catherines, though it is growing at a rate of 250 families per year, strives to be a place of welcome and joy. And because of the tremendous youth of our parish, we are noted throughout the Diocese of Raleigh as a parish of cutting-edge ideas and enthusiasm.