The Vineland Elementary School opened its doors in 1959 in a small building on the corner of Grape Street and East Avenue with seven students in grades one through three. While the size of the student body was small, the dreams of the founding families were big. Their goal was to offer an innovative program that promoted individualized instruction in a nurturing environment blind to economic and social lines. The school was welcomed by the community and the student body almost tripled in its second year with the addition of a fourth grade. At this time, the tiny school also underwent a name change to honor the generous support of its first benefactor, Mr. George M. Ellison. By the 1964 ? 1965 school year, the 47 students now enrolled in grades kindergarten through six had exceeded the capacity of the modest Grape Street building and the school was moved to 740 Wood Street. The teaching methods in use at the school had earned national recognition with educators from across the country visiting to observe classroom instruction. In December of 1968, The Ellison Private Elementary School moved to its present two and a half acre site at 1017 South Spring Road. An addition housing two new classrooms and an office area was completed in 1978 and a further addition of four new classrooms plus a large multi-purpose room was finished in the summer of 1981. Seventh and eighth grades were added in the 1983 ? 1984 school year and preschool and nursery classes were added shortly after. The school was further expanded in 1991 with the addition of three upper school classrooms, a gym, and kitchen facilities. The Ellison School was accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools in 1988 and by the New Jersey Association of Independent Schools in 1999. It was the first private elementary school in Vineland or Millville to be so honored for its commitment to excellence in education.