Venice Library History : The founding of a community library in the Venice area took place when the Venice-Nokomis Womans Club, organized in 1926, took the establishment of a community library as its first project. At first, books donated by club members were kept on shelves in a store in Nokomis but after several moves were housed in the Methodist Church. In 1932, Wesley K. Higel, a churchman prominent in the community, built a clubhouse as a memorial to his wife "Mame" Higel on the grounds later occupied by the first Nokomis Elementary School. This building served the area as a cultural center and library for many years. After the sale of the building to the Sarasota County School Board, and prior to the erection of the current Womans Club on Harbor Drive, the books were housed in the old Venice City Hall. For a number of years the library was located in a wing of the Womans Club which had been a gift of Mrs. Louella Albee especially for this purpose. When the library eventually outgrew its space at the Woman's Club in 1962, a group of Venice citizens headed by distinguished childrens author Walter Farley and his wife Rosemary formed a nonprofit corporation called the Friends of the Library of the Venice Area, Inc. The organizations specific purpose was to build a new free public library for the rapidly growing area.