First Baptist Church Of Vauxhall5 Hilton Ave, Vauxhall, NJ 07088
Mission and Vision: Our mission as a community of faith is defined by the three Rs. Reclamation - We reclaim people who have been lost to the cause of Christ. Restoration - We provide a safe healing place for the bruised, the broken and the battered. Reproduction We call the reclaimed and the restored to give what they have received to others. History: In 1906, in what was known as Hilton Heights, New Jersey, (now Vauxhall, New Jersey), a group of people assembled at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Noan Wellman for a prayer meeting. After many such meetings a mission was started. During this time a strong desire had developed for a united Christian effort to meet the spiritual needs of the growing community. Accordingly, on July 8, 1907, members of the Mission met to consider the possibility of establishing a church. The Mission was recognized by the Baptist Association, and became known as the Union Baptist Church. Immediately, plans were made for building a church. Through contributions, donations and fund raising programs the task was accomplished and the building was completed in 1908. On July 16,1908, the church held its first service in its new edifice located on Oswald Place in Hilton Heights, New Jersey. The church congregation became such a unified group, trusting and doing the work of the Lord, that their unification began attracting many others. By 1913, with the rapid development of the community and the steady increase of membership, it became apparent to the trustees that at the rate the church was growing, it would be necessary to expand the quarters to accommodate the congregation. This led to the purchase of additional properties. A new church was erected in 1920 and the church cornerstone laid in 1921. Much progress was made during the following years. In 1948, the name of the church Union Baptist Church was changed to that of First Baptist Church, Vauxhall, New Jersey. On August 27,1979, construction began on a new church edifice which was completed in August, 1980. On Sunday, April 26, 1981 the cornerstone laying service was held. God has brought us from hardship to hallelujah and as we continue to move in His future, may we ever be true to our calling and mindful of our mission, whereby many will see the church as a place where they can be refreshed in spirit, relieved from pain, released from bondage, and redeemed from sin. To God Be The Glory!