Our Mission Statement: The purpose of the Upland Public Library is to provide information resources and services for the intellectual, educational and cultural enrichment of our community. History The seeds for the Upland Public Library began in July 1900, when the North Ontario Public Library and Reading Room opened over Jackson's Grocery Store. Subscribers paid $.50 a year for using the library, which would open its doors from various locations for the next 13 years. As sentiments for a free, permanent library grew, the City Council approached Andrew Carnegie for funds necessary to build a suitable building. The Carnegie Foundation furnished $10,000, and the City added $4,000 to create the Upland Public Library which opened formally to the public on July 26, 1913.This was Upland's first civic building and operated as the public library from 1913 until 1969 when the current library building opened.