The Uniondale Public Library officially opened its doors on September 1, 1954 under the supevision of Mrs Ruth Ann Hawthorne and Mrs. Helen Graves. A volunteer staff was trained to serve the people. After one full year of operation, the library had issued almost 1,200 library cards and had built a collection of over 7,000 books. During that time library service operated solely on the volunteer efforts of the community without tax support. Uniondale Public Library book collection now contains 115,000 volumes, as well as video and audio collections.