Max Grimm began to merchandise coal in and around Troy, NY in 1879 to displace wood as the primary home heat source. Delivery was by horse-drawn wagons and was carried up to second and third floor flats. Later, to fill in the slower summer months, he broadened the line with construction and builders' supplies. The business prospered.By 1929 Carl Grimm had been apprenticed long enough to take over. That was the start of difficult times. By 1942, with postwar construction boom on the horizon, an arrangement was made with General Building Supply Co., of New York City, a firm managed by James Farley of the Roosevelt Cabinet, for Grimm to represent General Building Supply Co. in the upstate area.To ride the crest of the building wave, in 1946 the company expanded into construction, erecting the YMCA facility at Tahawas for National Lead Co. This led to construction projects for General Motors, Gar Wood, Standard Brands, Caterpillar Tractor, and other national concerns, including the growing Rototiller Company, which became Garden Way.Through the 1960s and 1970s the company prospered and continued to grow under Peter Grimm's guidance. Adding boom-equipped trucks to the delivery fleet greatly enhanced the company's ability to provide value added service to our customers.In the late 1980s, the company ventured into the precast concrete industry. This proved to be a wise decision. With the acquisition of Mid-Hudson Brick Company in the late 1990s, the company experienced another growth spurt, which has propelled Grimm to become the areas largest and best-known brick, paver and retaining wall supplier in the Capital District. The future continues to look bright for the company as we strive to innovate and be on the cutting edge of our industry.