History of Tipton Schools: Education has always been important at Tipton! The first school was a two-room frame house south of town. Tipton Schools' first superintendent in 1909 was Clay W. Kerr and Mrs. Leota Copeland was the first teacher. About 1910, Central Ward School was built to accommodate increased enrollment. In 1917, five girls graduated in the first graduating class from Tipton High School. After much controversy, five schools consolidated to make up Tipton High Schools in 1923. Tipton Home students became part of the district in 1928 with grades 7-12. Grades 1-6 were educated at North Drive School on the Tipton Home Campus until 1966. Early principals included Mr. Elmer Davis, Mr. Clarence Berry, and Mr. W.B. Hutton. Mr. Jess Hanna, a legendary figure in Tipton School history, he served as a teacher, coach, principal, and superintendent. He would not only guide Tipton School, but also Tipton Home Grade School, and Booker T. Washington's school through part of four decades. Booker T. Washington School would educate black students for over four decades until it closed in 1965. The same year Tipton Home Superintendent T.N. Putnam sent all the Tipton Home children to Tipton Schools. In 1966, all the children in the Tipton School Distrct were being educated together for the first time. Mr. Hanna was the superintendent and Mr. and Mrs. Northcutt joined the staff from the Booker T. Washington School. The Northcutt's son, Thomas, was the first black student to be a Tipton graduate in 1967. Since 1940, school superintendents have included: Lloyd Van Deventeer (early 40's), G.W. cornelson (49-54), Jess Hanna (54-73), Dale Duggins (1974), Kenneth Anderson (75-80), Bob Drury (81-84), Rick Moss (84-88), Larry Osborne (88-99), Rick Beene (99-02), and Brad Overton(02-present). Manitou School District consolidated with Tipton in 1993 and Jerry Stoll joined our school board from Manitou. Manitou's SW Oklahoma Juvenile Center opened in 1996 and thier educational unit is a part of Tipton Public Schools. A new high school was built in 1995, and the voters approved a bond for a new gym/cafeteria in February of 2000. There are currently 64 staff members, 257 Tipton students, and 70 Manitou campus students.