New Page 1 On November 12, 1853, the brothers and sisters met at the Dover Meeting House at the head of Tiger to discuss the establishment of a church. On January 7, 1854, a church was formed of the following members: (Males) Sorrow Shaw, Chancy Wooten, Henry Benfield and Elisha Smith, (Females) Melissa Shaw, Jemima Benfield, Nancy English, Nancy Moreland, Mary Welborn and Mary Smith. Along with meeting in the Dover Meeting House there is knowledge of another building having existed which was erected on adjoining land but no written record can be found. A need for a new building came about in November 1890 when land for the new church was procured 1/8 mile from the old meeting house. Contract was given to F. A. Taylor for $250.00 to build a church 26' x 40' x 14'. It was turned over to church members June 13, 1897. As with most churches of this era, the building was used for a twofold purpose - a church and a schoolhouse. The first services held in the previous building, which was built adjacent to the 1890 building, was the first Sunday in October, 1957. Early in 1993, prayers of Liberty Baptist Church were answered once again. The need for expansion was met by the purchase of additional land adjoining church property. Plans were soon in the making and a new parsonage was promptly built directly behind the church. As the need for growth was evermore apparent with Sunday School rooms too small to accommodate classes, plans were then begun for additional room. On a chilly day in April 1996, a ground-breaking ceremony was held and attended by approximately 200 people. The new plans included a three floor educational building of 10,000 square feet consisting of eleven Sunday School rooms, an office, a nursery and a fellowship hall. The educational building was completed in April, 1997. On the first Sunday of its use, the new building was at full capacity and need of expansion was once again realized. Soon plans began to be made for expanding to a new sanctuary with a full basement to accommodate the need of more Sunday School rooms. In early 2001 the church voted to remove the 1957 building and begin construction of the new facility. The new building would consist of 16,000 total square feet with the main floor having a sanctuary and a church library with the lower floor consisting of an office and eight multi-purpose rooms to be used as need for future growth. On April 1, 2001, the 1957 building began to be removed and construction of the new building followed. On March 25, 2002, Liberty Baptist Church had a new sanctuary to call home. The new sanctuary that we worship in today consists of 8,000 square feet on the main floor and can accommodate up to 650 people. Since its formation in 1854 of ten members, fellowship today has grown to over 350 members.