Temple Elementary is a public elementary school serving students in pre-k through grade four. According to an oral history given by Mrs. Dorothy Burton-Calloway, the original school, built in 1888, consisted of only one small classroom. As the community grew, so did the school. In 1946, a group of African Americans dismantled military barracks in South Carolina and transported the lumber to Temple to build an eleven-room structure that became Providence High School. Later, it became a junior high school. After desegregation, the structure was renamed Temple Elementary. In 1958, the site was moved, and the main structure, which remains, was built. There have been many additions to the school since 1958. Today, the school campus includes three permanent structures, a gymnasium and seventeen mobile classrooms. Plans have been approved to add eight additional classrooms and a new cafeteria. The current cafeteria will provide space for four additional classrooms. Fifth grade students will return to Temple Elementary after the construction is complete. Mission: The mission of Temple Elementary School is to provide a quality education to a diverse population of students, meeting each child at his/her level of instruction by utilizing a variety of research based materials and curriculum. Vision: Our children will become life-long learners and productive members of society.