Olive View Hospital opened in 1920 as a tuberculosis (TB) sanatorium for Los Angeles County to relieve overcrowding of TB patients at County General Hospital located downtown. Olive View-UCLA Medical Center went from being a TB Sanatorium to an acute care hospital in 1970. In May 1997, Olive View-UCLA Medical Center became a part of ValleyCare, an integrated health services delivery system, connecting the publicly operated hospital and associated health centers with private community partners to expand primary care access within the community. ValleyCare's mission is to improve the health of our patients providing them with access to an optimal health care delivery system. ValleyCare maintains responsibility for the care of the medically indigent, low income, uninsured residents of the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys. ValleyCare provides patient-centered quality health care to all regardless of financial status. It has a strong affiliation with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA offering residency programs in all major specialty areas as well as providing an on-campus School of Nursing. As a public sector, integrated health services delivery system, the hospital's vision is to serve as a model for enhancing health and providing education to patients, staff, and the community.