History The Sugar Grove area has always been library conscious. In 1874 Dr. C.J. Phillips donated a room in his home to serve as library and reading room. In 1881 the Hopkins Library, housed in the Sugar Grove Seminary, was well supplied with the "latest and best" books, a contribution of H.J. Hopkins of Pleasantville. In 1893 this same donor gave $1,000.00 to bring that collection up-to-date. In 1895 the General Town Library, consisting of some 400 volumes, was transferred to the Union School for the "convenience and benefit of the pupils". On May 12th, 1936, the President of the Sugar Grove Reading Club, Mrs. Alfred A. Grant, called a meeting of all persons interested in forming a free library association. That evening a constitution was adopted. In June of 1936 the Borough Council granted permission to house the Sugar Grove Library in the Council Building. In 1961 the trustees voted to join the Warren County Library Association, a member of the Seneca District. On December 21, 1975, the Sugar Grove Free Library building was presented as a gift to the people of Sugar Grove and the surrounding area by Mr. & Mrs. Howard Curtis. In the program the following organizations were acknowledged for their contributions to the Library. Beco Interiors, Inc. - Clock, Russell Forsgren - Sketch of Library, Green Brothers - Corner Stone, Pennsylvania Electric Company - Underground Service, Sugar Grove Borough Council - Furnishings, and Volunteer Fire Department - Donation of Site. The last paragraph of the program stated: Today, December 21, 1975, the Sugar Grove area no longer dreams of a new library building. The dream is a reality. Your Library - a precious heritage. Protect it! Support it! Use it!