Settlers came to the ridge between the Mayo and Dan Rivers in the northwest piedmont region in the early 1800's. Originally known as Mayo, the present community grew around the general store of Thomas and Pinkney Stone. Located at the intersection of Henry and Main Streets, the site is now the center of the business community. In 1877, the town incorporated under the present name and Francis Stone, brother of the storekeepers and elder in the Matrimony Baptist Church, was elected Mayor. In 1892, the Stone family went on to influence the construction of the Roanoke and Southern railway line, which brought even greater prosperity to the town. At that time, the passenger trains from Washington and Richmond would make a point to schedule their dinner stop in Stoneville so as to take advantage of the fine food served in the Lewis Hotel. The tobacco industry also played a very important part in the development of Stoneville. The first tobacco warehouse was built by R. H. Lewis in 1875, under the name of Farmers Warehouse. Numerous tobacco warehouses shaped the history of the town in the years to follow, including the Piedmont Warehouse, the Union Warehouse, Joyce's Warehouse, and Brown's Warehouse. The Methodist congregation built a church in the newly formed town in 1883 and graciously allowed several other denominations to hold services in the building until they had the time and resources to build their own places of worship. Throughout the town's existence, this spirit of comradeship and respect for one's neighbor has continued. The citizens of Stoneville are proud of their history, and justly so.