In 1956 the American Foundation for the Preservation of the Old West purchased a sizable tract of land in Byram Township, New Jersey, just north of Netcong, and started construction of a replica western town. An architect was commissioned to fly out to Dodge City, Kansas to dimension the actual layout of the town so it would be historically accurate. The site opened in the spring of 1957 and continued under the operation of Justus Nienaber until 1962. The town was leased unsuccessfully for a season and then closed until 1963. The Stabile, Rospond and Maitalasso families purchased the theme park in the fall of 1963 planning a short term real estate investment. Michael and Mary Stabile of Nutley, New Jersey were the operators of the park and eventually bought out their partners in 1966.