The Village of South Elgin was incorporated on April 20, 1897 for the purpose of administering the public affairs of its inhabitants for the common good. Its affairs are directed by the Village President and a six-member Board of Trustees who act as the policy making body. Residents serve on various commissions and advisory committees. The Village President appoints the Village Administrator and five Department Heads to manage the day-to-day operations of the departments of the Village. The Office of Administration and the departments of Finance, Parks & Recreation, and Police are located at Village Hall. Community Development offices are located at 74 West Middle Street. The Department of Public Works is located at 735 N. Martin Drive. The South Elgin & Countryside Fire Protection District provides fire service to Village residents. A separate taxing entity, the Fire District is located adjacent to Village Hall at 150 West State Street, South Elgin, IL 60177 (847) 741-2141. The Fire Chief is Joseph Cluchey. An annual Student Government Day program is extended to high school seniors. Job shadowing gives the students a chance to work with Village officials. The program culminates with a mock board meeting.