Halifax County was formed on May 19, 1752 from Lunenburg County and named in honor of George Montague Dunk, Second Earl of Halifax. Located in the south-central portion of the state, the county is bounded by the Virginia counties of Pittsylvania, Mecklenburg, Campbell, and Charlotte and the North Carolina counties of Caswell, Person, and Granville. Pittsylvania, Franklin, Henry, Patrick, and a portion of Bedford counties were once a part of Halifax County. Although these areas became independent counties, Halifax County remains the fourth largest county in the state in area and has a population of approximately 37,000. There are five incorporated towns within the geographical boundaries of Halifax County. Within the 802 square miles of the county are the towns of Halifax, Clover, Virgilina, Scottsburg, and South Boston. Each of the towns elects its council, however, all are under the countys jurisdiction. The elected eight-member Board of Supervisors is the governing body of Halifax County. These board members serve four-year terms, and each represents one of the eight electoral districts of the county. A county administrator is employed to serve as clerk and chief administrative officer for the board. In 1953, eight Halifax County, Virginia, high schools and one South Boston high school consolidated to form the Halifax County High School. Earlier in 1948, the Halifax County Training School located in Halifax and Booker T. Washington of South Boston had united, this making Halifax County Training School the largest rural high school for black students in the Commonwealth during the 1950s. Some seventeen years later, the Halifax County Training School was renamed Mary M. Bethune High School in honor of the famous black American educator. When the divisions secondary schools were integrated in early 1970, the Halifax County High School was reorganized as the Halifax County Senior High School serving tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade pupils of all races. In July 1993, the school once again became Halifax County High School with the formation of Halifax County Middle School and the addition of the ninth grade to the high school. The present Halifax County High School plant is located on Route 129 outside the town limits of South Boston and was opened for students during the 1979-80 school year.