History In 1948 Fr. WilliamVoors began preparation for what was to become St. Jude Parish. In June of 1948, Bishop Pursley commissioned Fr. Voors to formally start a study regarding a new Parish in the south end of town. On December 5, 1948, in the Southmore Community Building, the first Mass was celebrated with what was to be the founding community of the new Parish. In July, 1949, Fr. John J. Szot was assigned as the first Pastor. The Parish began with 110 registered families. In December 1949, a parcel of land consisting of thirteen lots (bounded by Hildebrand Street, St. Joseph Street, and Johnson Road) was purchased. And then the wheels kept in motion. In the spring of 1950, a tentative sketch of a combination School and Hall, which would serve as a temporary Church, was drawn up by Mr. Howard Pletcher and approved by Bishop Pursley. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on the Feast of the Assumption, August 15, 1950. In the construction of the new building, lumber and other materials were salvaged from the Chapel donated by the Franciscan Sisters of Mount Alverno. The chapel was dismantled by the men of the Parish and was used in our new construction. This was indeed a huge savings for the new Parish. The cornerstone was blessed October 29, 1950, on the Feast of Christ the King and sealed November 1, 1950, on the Feast of All Saints. In March 1951, as construction was nearing completion, a residence on Johnson Road was provided for the Pastor. It was fittingly Fr. Szots privilege to offer the first Mass in the new Church on April 22, 1951. The dedication of the new Church was held on June 10, 1951. By October 1953, a residence adjacent to the Church and Parish property was remodeled to serve as a Rectory. The new Parish community grew rapidly in numbers. Another groundbreaking ceremony saw the beginnings of the Parish School. This was April 8, 1956. On September 7, 1956, four teaching Sisters of St. Joseph arrived to staff the School. Three days later School was officially opened under the patronage of St. Jude with an enrollment of 100 students, grade 1 through 4. An addition of a Kindergarten class happened on October 10, 1956, with Irene Pilarski as its first teacher. She held this position till retirement in 1990. The Rectory on Hildebrand Street was converted into a Convent to provide a residence for the Sisters staffing the School The growing Parish soon needed additional brick and mortar. In 1960, the present Church was added. By dedication time, a year later, the gymnasium, the Marian and Keller Rooms (for social functions), were completed. In 1976 the Church was refurbished and during the winter of 1977-78 the Rectory was remodeled. In 1980 the Kindergarten and Community Room were added. In the intervening years since the founding of the Parish, several Pastors exercised pastoral leadership: Fr. John Szot, Fr. Raymond Balzer, Fr. Edward Narcowich, Fr. Henry Mascotte, Fr. James Stoyle and Fr. Derrick Sneyd. Together with these pastors, the Parish was also privileged to have the pastoral care of several priests who served as Associates. Their names are many, their duration of stay varied. The present Pastor is Fr. John Delaney. On January 28, 2007, St. Mary of the Assumption Parish was merged with St. Jude. We are excited about the growth this brings to us and we look forward to future growth!