The Town of Smyrna finds its roots in the mid 1800's as an agrarian community with many large farms and plantations flourishing in the area. One of the more significant plantations, the Sam Davis Home, is Smyrna's most historic landmark and is designated as a state historical site. The plantation was home of the heroic Sam Davis who offered his life rather than reveal to the Union soldiers information that would compromise the Confederate war effort. The 200-acre estate is governed by a Board of Regents, a group of concerned citizens dedicated to the preservation of a nineteenth century working plantation. The railway has also played an important role in the history of Smyrna. Serving as a refueling station for the railroad, tracts of land surrounding the depot were offered for public purchase. The town of Smyrna first incorporated in 1869, however its original charter was rescinded by the state a few years later. In 1915, the town incorporated, adopting a mayor and a commission form of government and continues to operate under a private act charter. On March 14, 2000, the mayor and board of commissioners adopted a new charter and now operate under the city manager form of government. The legislative body consists of 6 council persons and one mayor.