Smyrna Public Library107 S Main St, Smyrna, DE 19977
The Smyrna Public Library known earlier as the "Smyrna Library Association" was the first subscription library formed by a small group of Smyrna men in 1858. For eleven years, the library operated out of Odd Fellows Hall. In 1869, the Library moved into the "Old Town Hall" building located at the corner of South Street and South Main Street. The library's first Librarian was Dr. W.T Collins who cared for, labeled, and catalogued all books. The First Officers were Mr. Daniel Cummins-president, the Rev. Brisbane-vice president, Mr. Robert D. Hoffecker -recording secretary, Dr. C. D. Daily-corresponding secretary, and Mr. W. C. Eliason-treasurer. Mr. John C. Stockly proceeded as president in 1869 when the library moved to its now present location. On June 8, 1940, it was in the best interests of the public that the subscription library becomes a "Free Public Library" for the citizens of Smyrna and the Smyrna School District. In 1977, the library increased from a single room to a double room occupying the Town Hall section and in 1989, the library moved into the Police Department section and occupied the entire first floor of the building totaling 2,700 square feet. On December 25, 1948, it is uncertain whether Christmas decorations started a fire that burned the third floor of the building causing extensive smoke and water damage to the first floor of the library. Books were carefully moved to the Parish House of Episcopal Church, where sorting and repairing were done. The Library operated from the church until October 1949, when it moved back into its original location on the corner of South and South Main Street, Smyrna. Today the library continues to grow, both in book selections, programs and computer technology while still maintaining, its Historic charm.