History Incorporation was on February 16, 1865 for the "Village of Crotty" named after its founder, Jeremiah Crotty. The Village of Seneca was not legally termed such until March of 1957. Jeremiah Crotty, an Irish immigrant, contracted to build 11 miles of the Illinois & Michigan Canal, which bisects the Village. In 1854, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad was built and designated the Village as a station stop known as "Seneca Station". It has never been determined why the railroad called it "Seneca". Seneca was also well known for the Shipyard, which built Navy warships called LST's or Landing Ship Tanks. The Shipyard was in operation from 1942 to 1945 with a final production of 157 LST's built. The shipyards played an important role in World War II because they helped people by providing money and many jobs to our community. Currently, our Village contains many businesses as well as a library, community park, boat launch, swimming pool, police & fire departments, ambulance service, Hogan grain elevator landmark, public schools, various churches and the 2005 Village Hall.