History Sellersville was founded in 1738 at the southeastern end of Rockhill Township, on land purchased by Abraham Wambold. He erected the first structures on this land that consisted of a gristmill, tannery and a dwelling. This land is located at what is now the intersection of Main and Diamond Streets and Park Avenue. Sellersville became part of the "Liberty Bell Trail" in 1776 when of the Liberty Bell was taken from Philadelphia and passed through here to be hidden in Allentown. Samuel Sellers followed Mr. Wambold to town in 1780. He built a tavern known as "Sellers Tavern" and in time became the name of the village. In 1799, federal troops were camped on land occupied now by Borough Hall. These troops were sent to enforce collection of an unpopular tax, based on the number of windows in a house and capture John Fries, an Upper Bucks auctioneer who was one of the ringleaders. This uprising was known as the "Fries Rebellion". The name of the village Sellers Tavern was changed to Sellersville in 1866. At this time Sellersville consisted of 75 homes with approximately 600 residents, four stores, three cigar factories, three schools, two hotels, two flourmills, tannery, lumber and coal yards. Sellersville became an incorporated borough on December 7, 1874. The Sellersville Fire Department was organized in 1888. Sellersville became part of the industrial revolution in the 1900's. Most notably by the founding of the United States Gauge Company in 1904 which became one of the world's largest producers of pressure gauges. In 1940, the Schulmerich Carillons company came to the borough. Both of these businesses are still operating in the borough today.