Sebastian Library1001 Sebastian Blvd, Sebastian, FL 32958
About Us Around 1910 , Bamma Vickers Lawson decided to make her house our area's first (unofficial) library. She loaned out the books from her living room shelves to local residents.Children would read books on the front porch - while Bamma served them cookies and lemonade. After that folksy beginning,the need to read sparked a few more projects. One or two church groups sponsored lending libraries. When the Vero Beach library got going,for many years they sent a Bookmobile around the county - a popular feature. Then, in the early 1980s,the next local effort got under way. The Sebastian Jr. Woman's Club took up the cause. They raised funds with yard sales and fishing tournaments. The County Commissioners gave additional funding. Supporters donated books. On May 10, 1983, the Sebastian Area County Library, a privately owned enterprise governed by the newly formed Sebastian River Library Association, opened its doors. The staff consisted of over 40 volunteers and one paid employee, Library Director Lynn Walsh. The Library's collection and programs expanded rapidly. A bigger building and more funds were needed. In 1986 the County agreed to help if the Library would become part of the County government. A new entity, the Indian River County Library System, was set up, with the Vero Beach facility as the main branch of the two-library system. Four years later the dream of a fully-equipped library building came true. The newly constructed North Indian River County Library had its grand opening in November, 1990.Additions completed in 2002 brought the building to its present size of 25,000 square feet. Bamma Lawson had one thing we lack: cookies and lemonade.But we're working on it!