First Baptist Church Of Saint Paul3103 4th Ave, Saint Paul, VA 24283
Vision The vision of First Baptist Church of St. Paul is to become a fully function body of Christ, which through worship and ministry our works of kindness might overflow into our community, giving all the glory to God and His Kingdom. History An outgrowth of several gatherings to discuss the need of a Baptist presence in the community, St. Paul Baptist Church was organized on March 19, 1922, at a meeting held in the auditorium of the St. Paul School. Reverend J. B. Craft, a Baptist Missionary in Scott County, Virginia, was called as part-time pastor of the new congregation. Without a building of their own, the church could only meet at times and places as was convenient to those willing to allow the church to use their facilities. Services were held at the school, the theatre and in the Methodist Church, which was the only other local organized church at that time. The congregation was determined to erect a building of their own and, in March 1923, a lot in town was purchased. Construction on the present sanctuary was completed in 1926. The building was dedicated debt-free on Mothers Day, May 14, 1940. Next, a modest 4-room parsonage was built beside the church to provide for the housing needs of the pastor. Recognizing that the Bible-teaching and ministries of the church were at the heart of their purpose, three more lots were purchased and work began on the fellowship hall, offices, library and classrooms. The church was renamed First Baptist Church of St. Paul, Virginia on July 8, 1959. The building addition was completed in 1960. Between 1976 and 1977, several more lots were purchased and parking was expanded. In 1980 extensive remodeling of the sanctuary, classrooms and office area was completed. In 2005 new windows were purchased for the sanctuary. Beautiful stained glass scenes depicting the life of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, grace both sides of the building. In April, 2006 the project was extended to updating the front porch area. The porch windows were replaced with stained glass praying hands and an open Bible. A stained glass depiction of the Last Supper extending over the sanctuary doors completed the project. As we come to the end of 2006, we've celebrated the 20 year anniversery of our Pastor, Reverend Michael Moore and we're well on our way with our building make-over. New floors, fresh paint and a complete update of our classrooms are in the works. The children and youth classes are our main focus and will include new furniture and teaching aids. We're excited about the changes and will keep you up to date on our progress.