William Land Golf Course1701 Sutterville Rd, Sacramento, CA 95822
William Land was a gentleman ahead of his time and his legacy has become a rich environment for all to enjoy. The Land Park Golf Course, opening in 1924, was the first golf course in Sacramento. Pony rides have been enjoyed in William Land Park since the late 1930s or early 1940s. Funderland, a concession for children ages 2-12, was established in 1941. Fairytale Land has been entertaining toddlers and preschoolers since 1959. The William Land Park Amphitheatre has hosted concerts, plays and other productions since as early as 1963. The Village Green (appearing to most as a simple square slab of cement) has been a popular place for concerts in the 1970s and has been used more recently for practicing skating, playing bagpipes and the staging area for hundreds of charity events.William Land Park celebrates its history with many memorials. William Lands own memorial sits in the park across from Sacramento City Junior College. It was designed by noted architect Leonard F. Starks in honor of William Land (1837-1911). The plaque contains a quote by Virgil: The noblest motive is the public good. The World War 1 Memorial was erected in 1973 and honors the Sacramentans who gave their lives in the war. The statue of Charles Swanston was erected by his son George and included a dance pavilion (now a part of the Sacramento Zoo). There are many groves and gardens celebrating influential groups who helped make Sacramento what it is today.