The Rutland Free Library was started in 1886. Originally housed in various storefronts and at the old Memorial Hall on West Street, the library has been located in the old courthouse and jail on Center Street since the 1930s. In 1965 an addition was built to expand the capacity. In 1990 a second addition was completed, making a total of 24,167 square feet available including meeting rooms, book stacks, reading rooms, administrative offices, and storage. Seating for 86 is available in the main part of the library, with capacity for 200 in the two meeting rooms on the second floor. All facilities are impaired accessible. Parking is on-street.