History : The Town of Rowland was chartered on March 11, 1889 and was named in honor of Colonel Alfred Rowland, II. Colonel Rowland was a lawyer, member of Congress and a Confederate soldier. The Town of Rowland was formed when Wilmington and Weldon Railroad constructed the "Wilson Short-cut" from Wilson, North Carolina to Florence, South Carolina. The rail line from Florence to the north was built first and reached a point just north of the state line into North Carolina. On October 23, 1888 the first train from Florence traveled into what is now Rowland. The 43 mile northern link to Fayetteville from Rowland was completed in 1890.