The Village of East Hills, New York, was incorporated on June 24, 1931, and held its first election on July 8th that same year. But even before it was incorporated, East Hills has been a part of the recorded history of the United States since 1643. In that year, the Rev. Robert Fordham and John Carman sailed across Long Island Sound from Stamford, Connecticut and purchased what we now know as the townships of Hempstead and North Hempstead from the Rockoway, Mericock, Marsappeaque and Matinecock Indians.Settlers came the following year and named the area Hempstead, in honor of their home city, Hemel-Hempstead in Great Britain. The area fell in relative obscurity for about a century after that. When East Hills was incorporated in 1931, the land area of East Hills was 98% farm and estate holdings, with 65 homes occupying the remaining 2%. Today, the percentage is reversed, with 98% of the land area occupied by homes, and less than 2% remains undeveloped. There are about 2,300 homes today in East Hills, and the population is approaching 7,200 people.