Located in downtown Rocky Mount, the 119,000 square foot City Administrative Complex was completed in 1982. Constructed at a cost of $8 million, it was entirely debt-free upon completion. The white stone complex, which includes a police facility, will serve the citizens of Rocky Mount well into the next century. City Lake, located off Sunset Avenue at the Tar River, was first constructed as a Works Progress Administration project under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration in 1937. The lake has undergone many facelifts over the years, with a complete beautification project concluded in 1993. Joggers and walkers make a trek around a half-mile concrete path surrounding the lake, while others relax under the tall hardwoods and pines to feed the exotic waterfowl living around the famous site. Other amenities include a gazebo, piers, a bridge to the island, and a fountain. By day or night, City Lake is one of the most beautiful sites in the two counties. Called "a place for us to come together," City Lake has become a symbol of the Rocky Mount area. Rocky Mount had its beginning in the early part of the 19th century. It centered around the first post office which was established at the Falls of the Tar River on March 22, 1816. It was at that point that the name Rocky Mount appeared in documented history. The name undoubtedly derived from the rocky mound at the falls of the Tar River, which was also the site of one of the first cotton mills in North Carolina: Rocky Mount Mills was established in 1818. The Wilmington-Weldon Railroad was built about 2 miles east of the mill in 1845 and became the main connection for Rocky Mount to the outside world. The establishment of the Rocky Mount tobacco market in the late 1800's is one of the town's most noteworthy development. The demand for bright leaf tobacco rose rapidly as the cigarette industry took shape and the growth of the tobacco market led to the establishment of the town's first bank in 1889. The 1900's brought a number of "firsts" to Rocky Mount - the first public school, one of the most modern hotels in the state, the Ricks Hotel, the first library, the establishment of the first daily newspaper, the Rocky Mount Evening Telegram, the first hospitals with services available to the public and the YMCA. In 1970 and again in 1999, Rocky Mount was named an All-America City. The little town built upon a rock had become the progressive city on the Great Falls of the Tar. The 70's also brought a new post office building, completion of Nash General Hospital, a new campus for Nash Community College, recreational use of the reservoir on the Tar River, a new water plant, the Rocky Mount-Wilson airport and new highways. The 80's brought in a new regional shopping mall located on Wesleyan Boulevard and an athletic center on Hardee's Boulevard. Today, the city continues to grow and prosper.