During the early 1900's a small mission was organized which met on Sunday afternoons for the promoting of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. From this tiny nucleus came the organization of a new congregation on December 3, 1905. This group of believers met for the purpose of organizing into a church. The motion from that meeting reads: Motion made by J.W. Young that we hereby organize ourselves into a church to be known as . . . . . Baptist Church of Rock Island, and that we in this act of organization declare that we desire to enter the fellowship of the body of Christians known as the Regular Baptists. There were forty-one charter members comprising the infant assembly. A meeting was conducted on December 7, 1905, to select a name for the new church and by vote of the congregation, the name Edgewood Baptist Church was chosen. The first pastor extended a call was Rev. H.B. Hazen on December 10, 1905. Having been organized, named, and now served by its new pastor, the Edgewood Baptist Church began its ministry in the Rock Island community. The church was located at 447 - 44th Street, Rock Island, on the corner lot, which now occupied by the former International Harvester Company. Here the Edgewood people ministered and were ministered to for approximately twenty years. As the congregation prepared to relocate and move the building to a new site, the church voted to purchase property on the northwest corner of 8th Avenue and 44th Street in January 1925. The structure was moved adjacent to the alley facing 44th Street and shortly thereafter was modified and stuccoed. In 1953 plans were made to add on to the church's existing building to increase the size of the auditorium d Sunday School facilities. Construction was begun after a frame dwelling was removed from the front lot. With the completion of the addition the congregation continued to move forward and a new milestone was achieved in Edgewood's history. These facilities housed the Edgewood Baptist Church for nearly two decades. With the acquisition of houses on 8th Avenue for Parsonages and property on 7th Avenue for parking and expansion, the church continued to increase its facilities and its ministries. During the spring of 1967, the church purchased approximately five acres of land located in the Carriage Place addition of Rock Island. At a business meeting conducted April 1972, the congregation voted to sell its property and buildings at 8th Avenue and 44th Street and proceed with plans for the building of a new church complex. Groundbreaking ceremonies were conducted in February 1973 and construction was begun on the new church. With the completion of Edgewood's new edifice and its relocation to this new site, the church has reached a pinnacle making possible growth and expansion of up to 1500 in Sunday school. To God be the glory, great things He hath done! The future of the Edgewood Baptist Church is as bright as the promises of God. To Him we dedicate this building.