The N.H.Green Building was the first brick structure in town. It was constructed on the site of an earlier frame stone which was destroyed in the fire of June 7, 1888. Mr. Nelson Henry Greene came to Ritzville ", the season of 1883-1884.", He and his son, Orr, ran a general store and E.D. Gilson was a clerk. They sold the business to James Smith and Hans Thomson in 1895. The business changed hands again in 1899 when Thomson sold part of his interest to D.J. Kalkwalf.
In the late 1890's, new owners added a rear storefront bay along Washington. In 1904, the brick was faced with a concrete veneer to create a more monumental appearance and the public library was moved to the rooms upstairs. The interior brick walls that you see are the original. The original ceiling is under the lower paneled ceiling.
The Past Time Cigar Store and Sports Center has occupied the majority of the space since the early 1920's. It was owned and run by Martin Daniel ", Foxy Thiel", and C.T. Laidlaw from 1924-1926. Foxy then purchased and operated Foxy's Cigar Store until the end of prohibition when the business was expanded to include beer. He also sold hunting and fishing supplies. Minors were allowed in the front portion of Foxy's where ice cream, sodas and milkshakes were served.
The small side office on Washington was a barbershop at one time. The second floor throughout the historic period for offices, apartments, meeting halls and Baptist Church in the early 1990's. Today it is owned and operated by Foxy's great nephew, Steve Oestreich.