History of the Reisterstown Library The building which houses the Reisterstown Library dates back to the 1820's, when it was known as the Franklin Academy. Image of the Reisterstown Library.In 1874 it became the first high school in Baltimore County, and didn't become home to the Reisterstown Library until 1961. In 1995, renovations included a larger parking lot and an 1,800 square foot addition. The Reisterstown Historical Room located on the second floor, has a collection of local history, and is open to the public a few hours a week. Call the library for hours.