The Indians who first inhabited this area in and around Sinking Spring were known as the Lenni Lenape Indians, which meant the "original people." The Tribe in this immediate area was called the Minsi or Memorial Park Wolf tribe. Out of all the Lenni Lenape tribes, the Minsi were known to be quite warlike at times. They held their headquarters in the Berks County area for about twenty years. Later, these Indians became known as the Delawares, a name given to them by the white man, Lorde de la Ware. Indian inhabitants in the Sinking Spring area supposedly referred to the spring as the sunken spring, later being called the "sinking spring" by the white settlers who settled in this area. In the 3800 block of Penn Avenue adjacent to the Bank of PA, a stone monument was placed identifying "The Spring," which is known to periodically appear and disappear.The Borough of Sinking Spring was incorporated on March 13, 1913.